The incumbent is responsible for planning and coordinating special events held at the National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC). Duties include:
- coordinating and implementing the special events program;
- organizing small, medium and/or large sized events in Washington, DC and locations around the country;
- overseeing budget and budget processes for special events;
- directing and coordinating the activities of vendors and support units engaged in special events functions;
- advising key management officials on matters of protocol relating to NMAAHC special events frequently involving high-ranking U.S. and foreign dignitaries; and
- participating in the development and execution plans for existing and future activities for the museum.