Recent Graduate Program Requirements:
• Recent Graduates who in the previous 2 years have completed a degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution – OR – have an anticipated graduation date no later than 31 December 2018 (Final qualification determination will be made upon graduation).
• Veterans precluded by a military service obligation have up to 6 years after completion of degree or certificate to apply.
• Students MUST submit all transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable). If selected, official transcripts will be required.
• An Individual Development Plan (IDP) will be completed within 45 days of appointment to track the Recent Graduates' career planning, professional development, and training activities.
• Selectee will be required to sign Recent Graduates Participant Agreement in which it shall document the anticipated start and end dates for this developmental appointment.
• The entire period served under the Intern Program counts as a trial period.
• Within the first year of employment, the incumbent will be provided a minimum of 40 formal hours of training.
• The incumbent will be assigned a mentor within 90 days of appointment.
• This is an excepted service, developmental experience appointment expected to last only 1 year under the BLM Pathways Recent Graduates Program.
• The agency may noncompetitively convert a Recent Graduate who is a U. S. citizen to a term or permanent appointment in the competitive service, as long as the Recent Graduate successfully completes the BLM’s 1 year developmental program and meets the OPM Qualification Standards for the targeted occupational series, please click here for more information.
- Key Requirements:
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Be sure to read the "How to Apply" & "Required Documents" Sections.
- You cannot hold an active real estate license; nor can you,
- have an interest or hold stocks in firms with interest in Federal Land.
- Direct Deposit Required.
- Background Investigation Required.
- Education Requirements:
This position falls under the Group Coverage Qualification Standard for Professional and Scientific positions.
Basic Requirement: This position has a positive education requirement which requires you have a degree in land surveying; or civil engineering with a surveying option/emphasis. The civil engineering major must have included at least 6 semester hours of surveying, 3 semester hours of land law, and 21 additional semester hours in any combination of the following: surveying, photogrammetry, geodetic surveying, geodesy, route surveying, remote sensing, cartography, survey astronomy, land information systems, computer-aided mapping, aerial photo interpretation, and survey analysis and adjustments OR a combination of education and experience as described above OR current registration as a land surveyor in a State, territory, or the District of Columbia obtained by written examination.
You will need to clearly state in the resume your undergraduate and/or graduate degree(s) and submit your college transcripts, or a listing of your college courses that includes hours and grades.
- Once you complete and submit your application package, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the eligibility and minimum qualification requirements for the job. Your eligibility and qualification status will be based on a human resources assessment conducted using qualification standards, your responses to the job-related questions, information provided in your resume, and required supporting documents (see the Required Documents section). Veteran’s preference applies to the selection for positions in the Pathways Programs. The examination and selection of applicants will be made in accordance with requirements of the 5 CFR Part 302.
Eligible and qualified applicants will be referred to the hiring manager in unranked order by preference status: (1) Preference eligible veterans having a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more (CPS and CP); (2) Other preference eligibles (XP); (3) Applicants eligible for 5-point veteran’s preference (TP); and those (4) Applicants not eligible for veteran’s preference (NV). In addition, interviews may be conducted for this position. The job related questions align with the following knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the duties of this position.
KSA 1: Knowledge of cadastral principles and practices, relevant laws and court decisions, advanced mathematics, and related subjects.
KSA 2: Knowledge of the use of state-of-the art computer applications currently used in Cadastral operations and other aids needed to determine the mathematical calculations and accuracy of the surveys.
KSA 3: Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
This position is for Recent Graduates who have completed a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous 2 years or other applicable period - OR – have an anticipated graduation date no later than 31 December 2018. Note: Other applicable period may include certain veterans precluded from applying within the timeframe described above due to a military service obligation, shall have a full 2-year period of eligibility upon his/her release or discharge from active duty. However, in no event, may the individual’s eligibility period extend beyond 6 years from the date on which the individual completed the requirements of an academic course of study
In order to assess you meet a qualified status for this position and to refer you to the hiring manager, the agency must be able to determine that you meet the qualifications based on completed education and/or anticipated course completion, specialized experience, and/or both - please be sure to include this information in your resume. To be creditable, experience must have been equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the next lower grade of the position to be filled.
For GS-05: Completed a four year course of study leading to a bachelor’s degree in land surveying; or civil engineering with a option/emphasis that included at least 6 semester hours of surveying, 3 semester hours of land law, and 21 additional semester hours in any combination of the following: surveying, photogrammetry, geodetic surveying, geodesy, route surveying, remote sensing, cartography, survey astronomy, land information systems, computer-aided mapping, aerial photo interpretation, and survey analysis and adjustments; OR a combination of education and experience.--courses equivalent to a major in land surveying or civil engineering as described above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
For GS-07: Meet the basic requirement AND have one year of specialized experience equivalent to GS-5 in the Federal Service. Examples: serve as the head of small party on routine surveying assignments utilizing a variety of survey equipment including total stations, data collectors, hand held calculators, and GPS receivers; OR meet the basic requirement AND have one year (18 semester hours) of graduate-level education in Land Surveying or Civil Engineering with surveying option/emphasis; OR meet the basic requirement AND meet the provisions of Superior Academic Achievement (S.A.A.) See OPM Quals Standard-General Policies E(4)(f). I will provide a copy of my college transcripts; OR meet the basic requirement AND I have an equivalent combination of additional education and experience described above.
For GS-09: Meet the basic requirement AND have one year of specialized experience equivalent to GS-7 in the Federal Service. Examples: leading a survey party on a single more complex surveying assignment utilizing a variety of survey equipment including total stations, data collectors, hand held calculators, and GPS receivers; OR meet the basic requirement AND I have two years (36 semester hours) of graduate level education leading to a master`s degree or equivalent in land surveying; or civil engineering with a surveying option/emphasis; OR meet the basic requirement AND I have an equivalent combination of additional education and experience described above.
See Education Requirements for Basic Requirement definition
You must meet all eligibility and qualification requirements by 31 December 2018.