This incumbent in this position serves as the principle coordinator and technical advisor on policies, procedures, and practices designed to mitigate impacts from a wide range of uses and projects on public lands. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing technical advice to regional and state leadership on mitigation strategies, planning, and implementation.
- Developing, reviewing, recommending and implementing changes to mitigation program policies, standards, methods, controls, and procedures.
- Participating on interagency and interdisciplinary teams, as well as other committees to discuss mitigation initiatives, activities, policies, and procedures at the national, regional, and state level.
- Promoting and implementing an integrated training program to meet the requirements of the field.
- Developing, reviewing, analyzing, and/or editing mitigation related content for major environmental and project planning documents (such as Land Use Plans and Environmental Impact Statements).
- Implementing studies, analyses, and calculations, as appropriate, to provide appropriate mitigation and compensation for impacts for individual site specific projects and broader scale cumulative impacts.
- Evaluating the overall program effectiveness and accomplishments to incorporate multi-scale analyses.
- Researching, identifying, and negotiating partnerships, cooperative agreements, interagency agreements, and or memoranda of understandings with other agencies, institutions, or organizations to encourage and facilitate cooperative mitigation management strategies.