The economist position has the overall responsibility for providing guidance and assistance to the districts and other State office divisions and staffs in regional economic impact analyses for land use planning and the economic valuation of all solid leasable mineral resources on Federal and Indian lands. To support these activities, duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinating, developing, and managing the economic components of BLM Montana/Dakotas planning procedures and mineral valuation procedures for field, district, and State office activities.
- Initiating, formulating, coordinating, and executing integrated economic valuation programs designed to produce authoritative final solutions regarding the valuation of solid leasable minerals on Federal, Indian, and private lands within mine evaluations.
- Conducting research, literature searches, interviews, and inspections of operating project properties.
- Developing and implementing strategies for solving or addressing particular economic problems.
- Organizing and participating in the research and development of economic procedures applicable to multiple use resource demands as they relate to BLM Montana/Dakotas.
- Serving as the Contractor's Authorized Representive (COAR) when designated to monitor and evaluate contract performance in the subject matter of economics.